Please note, I have no degree/qualification in medicine or nutrition. I am simply a sufferer and am sharing information and advice I have gathered from the internet, books and my journey!
One of the main reasons I have created this blog is to empower those who suffer daily, and in particular, with an invisible illness called Endometriosis. I want to spread awareness about this illness as not enough information or support is out there! When i was first diagnosed with Endo I had no idea what it was!
Below is some information on the disease. Wether you are here for advice and information for yourself or someone you know, I hope you find the below and my entire blog helpful!
WHAT IS ENDOMETRIOSIS?
Endometriosis is a medical condition that occurs when tissue similar to the lining of the uterus, called the endometrium, grows in other places outside of the uterus, such as around the fallopian tubes, ovaries or along the pelvis.
HOW WILL I KNOW IF I HAVE ENDOMETRIOSIS?
Some symptoms and signs you could have Endometriosis, however not limited to, are;
- pain with periods, often the most common symptom
- bowel problems like bloating, diarrhoea, constipation, pain with bowel movements, painful wind (often diagnosed as Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
- painful intercourse
- sub-fertility or infertility
- tiredness and low energy
- pain in other places such as the lower back
- pain at other times e.g. with ovulation or intermittently throughout the month
- premenstrual syndrome (PMS). This might make you feel moody, emotional or irritable
- abnormal menstrual bleeding
- bladder troubles like interstitial cystitis
*** Discomfort with periods is often normal, distress is never normal ***
Pain during sexual intercourse or afterwards can be common. Internal examination and/or cervical smear can also be painful.
In saying all of this, your body could be covered in Endometriosis and yet expericence no symptoms at all. This is he crazy and sad thing about it all. You may be riddled in Endometrisos and have no symptoms, or you may have tiny amounts of tissue and have the worst symptoms!!! Isnt that so strange?
WHAT CAUSES ENDOMETRIOSIS?
No idea. There is no proven theory of why we get Endo. I have read multiple articles etc of where they say that Endometriosis is hereditry, as in it runs in our families. Remember, some people do not experience symptoms and may not know they have endo, or may not have been diagnosed!
I do happen to think that diet and lifestyle choices effect the symptoms however.
HOW CAN I MANAGE?
Everyone’s bodies are different. I am not a doctor, nurse, nurtrionsist nothing. I am simply a girl who suffers and has semi worked out my own way of managing. As mentioned above, I have no degree in anything and the below is genrally just advice!
- Stay away from dairy products, gluten prouducts and high sugar products
- Sleep well – rest is important
- Hormone treatments, e.g birth control
- Surgeical procedures e.g laproscopic surgery
- Finding an awesome specialist – this really is so important
- Womans health physios are the bees knees also
- Good pain relief
- Having a great support system e.g family, friends, partners
- Having an understanding of what you actually have, research endometriosis
Some of this information has been taken from Endometriosis New Zealand, to learn more, click here